there's a reason they call it websurfing

Work It Harder Make It Better
Do It Faster, Makes Us Stronger
More Than Ever Hour After
Our Work Is Never Over

~daft punk


Can you believe [Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger] has been one of those songs that always makes me cry since the first time I heard it? In an "I'm crying cause it's true and shiny!" kind of way.

I have no logical basis for believing this, but I like to imagine sapient machine creatures of comparable size are generally happier and emotionally better-adjusted than humans. They can still be evil and choose to do bad things, of course; all living creatures can. But I think this because in order to fulfill basic life functions, mech life would need to be even more cross-integrated both vertically and horizontally. The information storage capacity of matter is really the sticking point, as I see it. What would machine life use that is as small as a protein and capable of performing similar functions? What of RNA, the minute structure of the brain, how could such functions be fulfilled by other structures in a silicon-based life form? So many unanswered questions. But I guess I have this idea that a silicon chemical base would have slightly less efficiency at deep information storage and expression, and if that's the case, then the lack would have to be made up by much, much more efficient information exchange between and among mech organisms. What you can't get out of your own cellular (or cell-analogue) systems, you have to get from your social environment.

Techno always makes me think about machines, but that style of music is almost certainly not what mech life would consider music. It's all based around the heartbeat for one thing, let alone being written for the really narrow range accessible to the human ear. I think that's a tradeoff all forms of life have to make at some point though: narrow focus means deeper experience of detail, means richer connection to one's living environment. A precarious balance of many, many needs which much be weighted against one another from one moment to the next! Life is always foaming on the crest.


Had a dream and actually remembered it. Still don't feel like writing it down. Maybe when I feel a little less unsettled or something. However, today feels like a good day. I just have so many things on my mind that when I go to write about something here, it ends up being something totally unrelated, because otherwise I don't know that I'd be able to stop.

0 comments: